site usage of bogofilter.

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Nov 9 21:20:08 CET 2002

Greetings,

The folllowing question has come up:  How can bogofilter's spam and ham
word lists be kept high quality and up-to-date without overloading the
sysadmin with the maintenance taks?

Suppose a bogofilter site had system level word lists _and_ user level word
lists.  The system level lists would be provided (maintained?) by the
sysadmin and would provide a basis for spam detection.  In addition, each
user would have his/her own word lists (private) and be responsible for
maintaining them.  (Of course, a user could choose to do no maintenance, in
which case bogofilter would just use the system level lists).

The system level lists could be updated as often (or rarely) as the
sysadmin wanted.

The user level lists need a simple way for the user to add messages to the
spam and ham lists.  Suppose the system had two special email addresses,
e.g. spam at example.com and ham at example.com.  The user could (would) forward
received messsages to these special addresses.  The messages in the spam
and ham mailboxes could be added to the appropriate user's word lists
(determined by examining the forwarding info in the message header) by a
procmail recipe, a cron job, or other mechanism.

Note:  The ideas above are mostly derived from postings on the bogofilter
mailing list.  I'm not sure if I've added anything other than collecting
them into a single message.  None the less, I think it's time to think
about deployment and usage ideas and issues.