Dependencies

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Dec 19 18:19:19 CET 2002

Parker Morse <morse at sinauer.com> writes:

>> "make check" should work for all environments running bogofilter.
>> What is yours?
>
> We're using one of those lovely little "server appliances" which is
> supposed to require little or no computer knowledge to administer. I
> don't think they anticipated the extent to which I've been getting
> hands-on. It'
> s a custom Linux (based on an older Red Hat, I understand) and many of
> the packages have not been updated since installation. Updating perl
> from 5.003, for instance, breaks the GUI. (When vulnerabilities are
> announced, generally we patch with crossed fingers.)
>
> In this case I believe my problem is that the installed gcc is 2.95, and
> bogofilter really wants 3.0 or newer. Gyepi correctly diagnosed my libdb
> problems (thanks, Gyepi) - I installed from source, not RPM - but
> updating gcc has been pretty hairy so far.

You may have downloaded one of the versions that did not work with 2.95,
but AFAIK, and I can confirm that the current CVS version works with gcc
2.7.2.3 (for bogofilter) -- I don't know if Berkeley db requires a newer
gcc though --, and if gcc 2.7.2.3 fails to compile a bogofilter CVS
version, please let me know.

> Will do. I suspect the answer will be, "Your gcc is too old," though...

Sorry to disappoint you... :-)