Dependencies

Gyepi SAM gyepi at praxis-sw.com
Thu Dec 19 17:26:19 CET 2002

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 11:07:10AM -0500, Parker Morse wrote:

> In this case I believe my problem is that the installed gcc is 2.95, and
> bogofilter really wants 3.0 or newer. Gyepi correctly diagnosed my libdb
> problems (thanks, Gyepi) - I installed from source, not RPM - but updating
> gcc has been pretty hairy so far.

You can install a newer gcc alongside the old one and use it for project that require it.
I just had to do it for a piece of software that really wanted gcc 3.04.

Here's what you do:

1. configure gcc with a prefix like '/usr/local/gcc-special' and everything will installed under that directory
2. edit /etc/ld.so.conf and add '/usr/local/gcc-special/lib'. Don't worry, only applications that need that will
   use it. It won't break anything
3. configure bogofilter like this 'env CC=/usr/local/gcc-special/bin/gcc ./configure --any-other-special flags'

That's it.

The biggest problem here is the length of time it takes to build gcc, so a fast machine helps.
You can always build gcc on another machine and just copy the /usr/local/gcc-special directory to your
target machine too.

-Gyepi