Dependencies (was Re: Spammers catching on)

Parker Morse morse at sinauer.com
Thu Dec 19 17:07:10 CET 2002

On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 07:10  PM, David Relson wrote:
> Welcome to bogofilter.  We enjoy seeing as more and more people start
> testing and using it.

David - I've been watching bogofilter for a few months now. I'm mail admin
for a small (~25 people) company, so spam filtering is one of my ongoing
projects. I can see bogofilter isn't ready for site-wide use yet, but I'd
like to be familiar with its use when it is, so I'm working through
installation, training and testing for my own mail.

> "make check" should work for all environments running bogofilter.  What
> is yours?

We're using one of those lovely little "server appliances" which is
supposed to require little or no computer knowledge to administer. I don't
think they anticipated the extent to which I've been getting hands-on. It'
s a custom Linux (based on an older Red Hat, I understand) and many of the
packages have not been updated since installation. Updating perl from
5.003, for instance, breaks the GUI. (When vulnerabilities are announced,
generally we patch with crossed fingers.)

In this case I believe my problem is that the installed gcc is 2.95, and
bogofilter really wants 3.0 or newer. Gyepi correctly diagnosed my libdb
problems (thanks, Gyepi) - I installed from source, not RPM - but updating
gcc has been pretty hairy so far.

> If you want, you can go into the tests subdirectory and run each of the
> tests from the command line.  The outputs will be saved in appropriately
> named subdirectories.  For example, the outputs of t.systest will be in
> systest.MMDD, where MMDD is today's date.  You can run all of them , put
> them in a tarball using command "tar zcvf test.MMDD.tgz *.MMDD/*", and
> send them to me off-list.  I'll take a look and see if I can figure out
> why you're having trouble.

Will do. I suspect the answer will be, "Your gcc is too old," though...

pjm