reclassify email as non spam

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Mar 13 02:50:00 CET 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:12:10 -0500
Dwayne Hottinger wrote:

> What is the best way to make bogofilter to not classify specific emails as
> nonspam.  I am using bogofilter version 0.15.6.  So far I have created an
> ignorelist according to the faq and added the email addresses to it.  Plus I
> created a notspam directory and ran cat /notspam directory bogofilter -n.
> Bogofilter listed the words in the messages.  But doing a manual query on the
> db before and after each item didnt lower the spam count for any of the emails.
>  Maybe my syntax is correct for my commands I used cat *
> /mail/spool/mail/notspam bogofilter -n for my non spam  import.  Any help is
> greatly appreciated.  I now search through all the spam messages weekly to
> glean out emails from these two addresses.
>
> thank you ,
>
> ddh

Hi Dwayne,

Welcome to the bogofilter lists.  (I don't recall seeing your name
previously.)

Bogofilter-0.15.6 is pretty old (October 2003 if my records are
correct).  There have been lots of changes since then!  Bogofilter is
significantly better and faster now than then.  What I'm going to say
applies to the current version (and may be slightly wrong or
inapplicable for what you have).  FWIW, I strongly urge you to upgrade.

Anyhow, the "-n" flag increments the non-spam count and doesn't affect
the spam count.  To lower the spam count, use the "-S" flag.  For a
false positive (ham classified as spam), you can run

    bogofilter -Sn < message

and do both operations (decrement spam count and increment ham count)
at once.

I know that ignore lists have been part of bogofilter for quite a
while, but am not 100% certain they worked until last spring when my
mail server has a major need for them and I made sure the feature was
working properly.

You can test fairly simply by using "-vvv" to generate the complete
list of tokens from the message, sorted by ascending spam scores.  The
last column will be "-" or "+" depending on whether the token actually
contributes to the messages's score, which ignored tokens should not
do.  One of last year's enhancements was to put "I" in that last column
for ignored tokens.

HTH,

David

P.S.  FWIW, as this message is about bogofilter use, it belongs on the
user's list (bogofilter at bogofilter.org) rather than the developer's
list.  However, we're friendly and informal :-)