0.93.2 and OS/2

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Dec 5 02:07:27 CET 2004

"Yuri Dario" <warp at os2power.com> writes:

>>> I changed code to use symlink,

>>That won't work as the original name will be unlinked, hence the symlink
>>becomes dangling (broken).
>
> while a hard link will stay in place until all references are deleted
> from disk, right?

A Unix file consists of the actual contents, called the "inode"
(sometimes called file serial number), and zero or more filenames
(usually one). The "zero filenames" case can only happen when a file
that is still open is deleted, and defers the inode deallocation until
the last file handle is closed.

A hard link (or just link) creates a new filename for the same _inode_.

A symlink (symbolic link) or soft link stores the _name_ of another file.

>>Does OS/2 have shmget() or equivalent? If it does, you can do without
>>mmap(). You may need to override HAVE_MMAP in config.h.
>
> OS/2 has a set of API for dealing with shared memory, I looked at shm*
> stuffs in the past and a simple implementation should require minimal
> API mapping.  What exactly is needed for BDB? I see shm* are
> referenced only in os\os_map.c, and only 4 functions are used (shmget,
> ctl, at, dt).

I don't know - I haven't looked so closely, and I know too little about
Berkeley DB implementation details and OS/2 to give useful information.