bf_copy and bf_compact

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Nov 13 03:37:36 CET 2004

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> I'm inclined to think that copying fewer log files is better than
> copying more.

Seems I need to tilt you in the other direction then.

We don't know why the user wants to copy the stuff, but I'd say he needs
to request if he wants less than everything copied. Dropping log files
perpetually inhibits catastrophic recovery, hence the default must be to
copy the logs.

> I'm also inclined to have a bf_build that would create a new database
> environment with minimal log files, i.e. run bogoutil -l, db_checkpoint,
> and db_archive.  Good idea or bad?  Is there a simpler way that doesn't
> need the three command sequence?

What is this good for? The first spam or ham registration will let the
whole file collection spring into existence.