bf_copy and bf_compact

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Nov 13 02:36:41 CET 2004

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 02:13:31 +0100
Matthias Andree wrote:

> David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:
>
> > Below are my latest versions of bf_copy and bf_compact.  What's
> > missing?
>
> set -e. :-)
>
> How about the attached versions? You'll need bf_copy -c src dst
> if you want to avoid copying all the logs and copy just the needed
> ones.

Looking pretty good.  I did some side-by-side comparisons and made some
changes for uniformity.

I'm inclined to think that copying fewer log files is better than
copying more.  Rather than "-c" to avoid copying, why not have that be
the default and use "-a" to include all log files?

I'm also inclined to have a bf_build that would create a new database
environment with minimal log files, i.e. run bogoutil -l, db_checkpoint,
and db_archive.  Good idea or bad?  Is there a simpler way that doesn't
need the three command sequence?