0.93 and 1.0

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Mon Oct 18 13:19:24 CEST 2004

On 20041017 (Sun) at 1109:30 -0400, David Relson wrote:

> Back in April, we announced the
> 0.9x series of bogofilter releases, culminating with TXN in 0.93 in
> June and a 1.0 release candidate not long after that.
>
> AFAICT, bogofilter itself has been working well enough for a 1.0 for a
> long time.  Infrastructure issues, esp Berkeley DB, have been delaying
> the 1.0 release for long enough.  Let's finish the infrastructure work
> so we can roll out 1.0 !

FWIW I side with Matthias about not wanting 1.0 to be a brown-paper-bag
release, which could happen despite things looking good to us few.  1.0
may see a level of user testing not hitherto experienced; I hope it
does!  But it would be nice if that revealed no embarrassing flaws.

I don't think the time since we added EFS is all that long.  Certainly
we want a couple of months of hammering on transactions before we
decide they're 1.0-solid (and in writing that, let me I emphasize that
I have the greatest respect for all Matthias's work that I've looked
at).

Let's make the 1.0 feature freeze official, if you like, and finish up
the test-and-bugfix phase (I have a bogotune redesign in mind, but that
is definitely 1.2 stuff).

To make just one comparison: linphone, which is more than a year older
than bogofilter (0.1.0 was released 2001-04-19) is now at 1.0.0pre3.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s         | gpg public key: 0x400B1AA86D9E3E64 |
|  http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   (on my website or any keyserver) |