0.93 and 1.0

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Oct 18 18:14:58 CEST 2004

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Greg Louis wrote:

> FWIW I side with Matthias about not wanting 1.0 to be a brown-paper-bag
> release, which could happen despite things looking good to us few.  1.0
> may see a level of user testing not hitherto experienced; I hope it
> does!  But it would be nice if that revealed no embarrassing flaws.

That's my mission, I want a smooth user experience, and I have some open
issues (I can file them in SF.net's bug tracker if anyone wants):

MUST:

- resize lock tables as part of recovery
- finish documentation polishing
- find out why John Chen's stress test hangs.
- fix a TXN regression that lets t.bogodir fail on Solaris

CAN:

- merge "concurrent" mode into the TXN branch to address the log file
  size issue (alternatively, perhaps implement automatic log file
  purging inside bogofilter because it's new to BF 4.2 which not
  everybody has yet)

> I don't think the time since we added EFS is all that long.  Certainly
> we want a couple of months of hammering on transactions before we
> decide they're 1.0-solid (and in writing that, let me I emphasize that
> I have the greatest respect for all Matthias's work that I've looked
> at).

Thank you for the flowers.

I haven't delved into the algorithmic issues, I don't know anything
about the effective size factor other than it exists. If somebody else,
particularly you, Greg, says it needs testing, I'm willing to give it
testing. I think we'll call it ready when it is ready, and I'd think
we'd give it at least 6 weeks of 1.0-test or 1.0.0-release candidates,
not counting the two weeks "between the years" as we say in Germany
(Christmas Eve til Epiphany).

> Let's make the 1.0 feature freeze official, if you like, and finish up
> the test-and-bugfix phase (I have a bogotune redesign in mind, but that
> is definitely 1.2 stuff).

I'd suggest that we hold off on the version bump until the TXN branch is
merged back on the trunk.

The initial year went fast, but then both I and David had less time to
care for bogofilter this year. This has slowed development down, but I'm
not ready to sacrifice quality yet. There's enough junk software out in
the world, I'm not meaning to add more.

Thanks to everyone who has helped bogofilter so far.

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)