Build failure on alpha OSF1

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Jan 26 17:36:47 CET 2004

Teemu Ikonen <tpikonen at pcu.helsinki.fi> writes:

> I tried to build bogofilter-0.16.3 on alpha OSF1 (ex digital/Compaq/HP etc.
> unix). The configure script ran fine, but when compiling, I got:
>
> bogoreader.c:45: error: dirname' redeclared as different kind of symbol
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/alphaev67-dec-osf5.1/3.3.2/include/string.h:175:
> error: previous declaration of dirname'
> bogoreader.c:45: warning: dirname' was declared extern' and later static'
> make[3]: *** [bogoreader.o] Error 1
>
> I solved this by inserting
>
> #define _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED

I don't trust these #defines unless we have some system that allows us
to test compile bogofilter on a dozen systems at once. No plans for such
a configuration are available yet. I've now renamed dirname to dir_name
in the CVS version of src/bogoreader.c, in the hope of resolving this
clash.

Thank you for your report.