Build failure on alpha OSF1

Teemu Ikonen tpikonen at pcu.helsinki.fi
Mon Jan 26 15:47:03 CET 2004

Hi all,

I tried to build bogofilter-0.16.3 on alpha OSF1 (ex digital/Compaq/HP etc.
unix). The configure script ran fine, but when compiling, I got:

bogoreader.c:45: error: dirname' redeclared as different kind of symbol
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/alphaev67-dec-osf5.1/3.3.2/include/string.h:175:
error: previous declaration of dirname'
bogoreader.c:45: warning: dirname' was declared extern' and later static'
make[3]: *** [bogoreader.o] Error 1

I solved this by inserting

#define _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED

as the first line in src/bogoreader.c. This causes 'dirname' not to be
defined in the libc headers. Note that this #define can't be put to other
files (doing this breaks the build in other interesting ways).

I'm sure this is some kind of autoconf problem, but I don't know enough
about the beast to fix this. Perhaps someone better versed in autoconf could
try?

Thanks and best wishes,

Teemu