GSL & BerkeleyDB versions [was: RPM: _build_exceptions]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Jan 3 02:22:11 CET 2004

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 02:01:31 +0100
Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:

> David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:
...[snip]...

> You cannot change just the dependency, you'll have to compile
> bogofilter against BerkeleyDB.3.3 in the first place - if Mandrake
> doesn't have libdb-3.3.so, you can either install using the usual (not
> ready-to-go) procedure:

The version of BerkeleyDB that's included as a dependency for
bogofilter's rpms depends on whether I have libdb3.3-devel or
libdb4.1-devel installed (and they're mutually incompatible).   I _do_
think I can control _that_ dependency (though changing circumstances
will undoubtedly reveal any flaws in that belief).

> tar -xzvf db-3.3.11.tar.gz
> cd mumble
> patch <db-3.3.11.1
> patch <db-3.3.11.2
> cd build_unix
> ../dist/configure --with-uniquename
> make
> make install
>
> and build --with-libdb-prefix=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3
>
> As to GSL, I suggest, as before, to use --with-included-gsl - that
> rids us of any GSL dependencies and incompabilities. It costs 60 kB.
> Not nice, but working.

True we could do that.  Has the gsl 1.3 vs 1.4 problem (changed entry
points but unchanged library versions) _really_ been a problem?  Has it
affected users?  Or are we anticipating/avoiding a problem that hasn't
happened?