GSL & BerkeleyDB versions

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Jan 3 05:11:16 CET 2004

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> True we could do that.  Has the gsl 1.3 vs 1.4 problem (changed entry
> points but unchanged library versions) _really_ been a problem?  Has it
> affected users?  Or are we anticipating/avoiding a problem that hasn't
> happened?

Round-up in a different order:

When bogofilter is compiled with GSL 1.3, it will run with GSL 1.1 or
newer.

When bogofilter is compiled with GSL 1.4, it will run with GSL 1.4 or
newer.

The package manager on typical distributions has no chance of sorting
out the differences between the GSL versions because the SONAME (that is
what package managers, such as RPM, look for) is the same.

You have upgraded Mandrake to 9.2, and in this process, libgsl0 was
upgraded from 1.3 to 1.4 - this is where the trouble begins.