make dist-hook

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Dec 15 01:32:30 CET 2003

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> Yikes!  "make dist-hook" generates a whole slew of messages (see
> attachments).  Do you get the same (or comparable) results?

No, it doesn't produce any output except "validating..." here, which is
the correct behaviour. I'll quote just the problem.

> [relson at osage doc]$ make dist-hook
> validating bogofilter-faq.html bogofilter-faq-fr.html
> /usr/bin/nsgmls:./bogofilter-faq.html:1:89:E: URL not supported by this version
> /usr/bin/nsgmls:./bogofilter-faq.html:1:89:E: DTD did not contain element declaration for document type name
> /usr/bin/nsgmls:./bogofilter-faq.html:2:5:E: element "HTML" undefined

That's two basic errors and one of the dozens of consequential errors.

This means that either your SGML installation is incomplete (either the
HTML doctypes are missing or the catalog is hosed) or your nsgmls cannot
find the catalog files.

SuSE ships with a html-dtd package which installs plenty of stuff into
/usr/share/sgml/html* directories.

Running this command in the doc/ directory:

        strace -fetrace=file nsgmls -s bogofilter-faq.html

may show you which files nsgmls expects or is trying to read. If
Mandrake allows a package search for dtd, DTD or HTML, try it, and
install packages that look as though they might contain HTML document
type definitions.