make dist-hook [was: [cvs] bogofilter-faq.html ...]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Dec 14 16:39:48 CET 2003

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:05:52 +0100
Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, David Relson wrote:
>
> > I thought you were deleting underscores.  There are lots of tags
> > with hyphens.  WHich tool does the validity check?
>
> Ooops. Seems there's a difference between XML DocBook (doesn't allow
> hyphen) and HTML (seems to allow hyphen). I'm using OpenSP's nsgmls
> with official doctype definitions (DTD), see
> http://openjade.sourceforge.net/
> and http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/ - just "cvs update ; make distdir"
> should validate the documents, or, for now "make dist-hook" in the
> doc/ subdirectory will also do.
>
> --
> Matthias Andree

Yikes!  "make dist-hook" generates a whole slew of messages (see
attachments).  Do you get the same (or comparable) results?

Using /usr/bin/nsgmls (from openjade-1.3.1-14mdk...rpm) gives two major
error sets:

1) "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/HTMLspecial.ent:71:26:E: "8249" is not a
character number in the document character set" messages seem bogus as
they're referring to files at w3.org, not our files.  I'd assume that
files at w3.org are authoritatively correct.

2) "./bogofilter-faq.html:185:9:E: document type does not allow element
"TR" here; missing one of "THEAD", "TFOOT", "TBODY" start-tag".

I upgraded to openjade-1.3.2-8mdk...rpm and the message count went from
bad to worse.