libgmime installation and build requirements

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Dec 11 15:01:25 CET 2002

At 08:50 AM 12/11/02, Matthias Andree wrote:

>I'm not in favor of libgmime:
>
>* It's oversized.
>   We don't need the encoding stuff.
>   We don't need uudecode.
>   We don't need signature handling.
>
>* I cannot build 1.0.6.
>
>* I cannot build 2-current from CVS, it's inconsistent at best, old
>   libtool fails to build shared library, new libtool/automake break the
>   build altogether.
>
>* Why does it need glib to build if it doesn't use it at run time?
>
>We're calling for MAJOR complaints by users if we go for libgmime and
>pull all its gory build dependencies in.

Matthias,

The only other alternatives that I know about is eps and writing our
own.  Writing our own is a lot of work and comes under the heading of
"reinventing the wheel", which is not a great thing to do.  Eps has the
major function of mime decoding which we need.  You've also identified some
weaknesses in eps.  What are your thoughts about using eps and helping
their development team complete it enough for our needs?