libgmime installation and build requirements

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Dec 11 16:41:46 CET 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, David Relson wrote:

> The only other alternatives that I know about is eps and writing our
> own.  Writing our own is a lot of work and comes under the heading of
> "reinventing the wheel", which is not a great thing to do.  Eps has the
> major function of mime decoding which we need.  You've also identified some
> weaknesses in eps.  What are your thoughts about using eps and helping
> their development team complete it enough for our needs?

I'm wondering if it takes more time to fix their EPS or code my own.
I'll not able to do real work before Sunday.

Inter7 have released half-finished esp and called it eps-1.something,
which is exasperating at best.

If they release eps-1.4 before I can continue work, I'll have another
look at eps.

Another alternative: we might also steal reformime that ships with
maildrop (GPL as well) and hack that up to suit our needs, but that
might be C++, I haven't looked close enough. Maildrop uses some C++.

OTOH, I already have fgetsl read folded headers (up to the maximum
buffer size) which is necessary to figure boundaries easily with flex.

I have stuff that breaks yytext/yyleng strings apart looking for words;
parameters are next and making sense of them (such as extract charset
for text types, extract boundary for message or multipart types).

I have looked into hacking up lexer.l to treat MIME and started a bit,
but I don't have anything yet I could present.