libgmime installation and build requirements

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Dec 11 14:50:10 CET 2002

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> The libgmime rpm installed on my Mandrake without needing any additional
> packages.  "rpm -q -R" tells me that it requires /sbin/ldconfig,
> ld-linux.so.2, and libc.so.6.  There is no pkg-config dependency for the
> binary rpm.
>
> Building libgmime from the tarball _does_ require pkg-config and
> libglib2.0_0-devel-2.0.x.  II had trouble with only glib-devel-1.3.15
> installed and an error message that wasn't clear (to me).  The libgmime
> team responded quickly and clearly to my query.

I'm not in favor of libgmime:

* It's oversized.
  We don't need the encoding stuff.
  We don't need uudecode.
  We don't need signature handling.

* I cannot build 1.0.6.

* I cannot build 2-current from CVS, it's inconsistent at best, old
  libtool fails to build shared library, new libtool/automake break the
  build altogether.

* Why does it need glib to build if it doesn't use it at run time?

We're calling for MAJOR complaints by users if we go for libgmime and
pull all its gory build dependencies in.