libgmime

Scott Lenser slenser at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 10 20:15:50 CET 2002

> David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:
>
> > At 05:42 AM 12/10/02, Matthias Andree wrote:
> >
> >>How much ballast (that we don't need, like encoding) do we buy if we use
> >>it? Can it be compiled as shared library?
> >
> > I've downloaded and installed the rpm for libgmime-1.90.6.  That gives
> > me libgmeme-2.0.so and libgmime-2.0.la in /usr/lib as well as a bunch of
> > html in /usr/share/doc/gtk-doc/html/gmime-1.90/ and headers in
> > /usr/include/gmime-2.0.
> >
> > I also downloaded gmime-1.90.6.tar.gz and tried to build it.  configure
> > fails and complains that it can't find pkg-config.  config.log indicates
> > the real problem is that it can't find glib.h.  I've experimented a bit
> > with "configure --includedir="...", but no success as yet.  Guess we'll
> > have to contact the author.
>
> pkg-config is a separate package this I believe is part of GNOME-2. So
> we're pulling this rat's tail in: libgmime, libiconv, pkg-config with
> all dependencies, glib. Do we really need so many libraries? People have
> stated they like that we just depend on db3+. We should not turn them
> away without dire need.
>
> --
> Matthias Andree

Maybe whatever library we decide to use should be optional.  I think a library
is the right way to go though as I don't see any reason to reinvent the wheel
here.  If we make the library optional, we could fall back on basically what we
have now.  This would let people try it and convince themselves that it works
pretty well which should be enough motivation for them to track down and install
the library if they get enough spam for it to matter.

- Scott