libgmime

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Dec 10 20:10:19 CET 2002

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> At 05:42 AM 12/10/02, Matthias Andree wrote:
>
>>How much ballast (that we don't need, like encoding) do we buy if we use
>>it? Can it be compiled as shared library?
>
> I've downloaded and installed the rpm for libgmime-1.90.6.  That gives
> me libgmeme-2.0.so and libgmime-2.0.la in /usr/lib as well as a bunch of
> html in /usr/share/doc/gtk-doc/html/gmime-1.90/ and headers in
> /usr/include/gmime-2.0.
>
> I also downloaded gmime-1.90.6.tar.gz and tried to build it.  configure
> fails and complains that it can't find pkg-config.  config.log indicates
> the real problem is that it can't find glib.h.  I've experimented a bit
> with "configure --includedir="...", but no success as yet.  Guess we'll
> have to contact the author.

pkg-config is a separate package this I believe is part of GNOME-2. So
we're pulling this rat's tail in: libgmime, libiconv, pkg-config with
all dependencies, glib. Do we really need so many libraries? People have
stated they like that we just depend on db3+. We should not turn them
away without dire need.