patch for DB byte order problem

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Nov 15 01:04:59 CET 2002

At 06:56 PM 11/14/02, Gyepi SAM wrote:

>On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 04:41:06PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
>
> > The patch (with #ifdefs to make it 4.1+) is attached.  If it needs
> changes,
> > make 'em and let me know.
>
>This is only a problem if you transfer a database, in binary format,
>from one endian platform to another.
>
>I had thought of this, but assumed that people would be using bogoutil for
>such transfers.
>
>Nonetheless, the data should be stored in a platform and database version
>independent manner and the conversion should be made whenever we set/get
>values
>so one does not *have* to use bogoutil for transfers.
>
>I agree with the patch conceptually, but not the implementation so I'll take
>responsibility for it and provide an update.
>
>I vote for storing the data in little-endian format.

Gyepi,

You're my man!

Since all my machines have 8080 descendants, I find it convenient to agree.

<rant>
The 8080 was a tour de force when it first appeared - primitive instruction
set, not withstanding.  Intel has done an amazing job of extending the
architecture and maintaining backwards compatibility.  Personally, I wish
IBM had chosen Motorola for the original PC.  Had that happened, we'd all
be running machines with reasonable instruction sets.  However, IBM didn't
do that, and we have all managed to survive - somehow.
</rant>