patch for DB byte order problem

Gyepi SAM gyepi at praxis-sw.com
Fri Nov 15 00:56:38 CET 2002

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 04:41:06PM -0500, David Relson wrote:

> The patch (with #ifdefs to make it 4.1+) is attached.  If it needs changes,
> make 'em and let me know.

This is only a problem if you transfer a database, in binary format,
from one endian platform to another.

I had thought of this, but assumed that people would be using bogoutil for such transfers.

Nonetheless, the data should be stored in a platform and database version
independent manner and the conversion should be made whenever we set/get values
so one does not *have* to use bogoutil for transfers.

I agree with the patch conceptually, but not the implementation so I'll take
responsibility for it and provide an update.

I vote for storing the data in little-endian format.

-Gyepi