various

Allyn Fratkin allyn at fratkin.com
Wed Oct 23 03:31:14 CEST 2002

Clint Adams wrote:

> The change in -vv behavior has been causing me some consternation,
> especially when I am unfortunate enough to have to use a dialup.
> I think there is a fundamental problem in treating 'debug' the same way
> as 'verbose'.

i think this hits the nail on the head.  debug output is for developers
while verbose output is for users.

i am all for David's idea of debug masks and separating the debug
output from the verbose output that might interest sophisticated users.

> but I think we may get better results if the base64 re was modified to
> only catch '='-terminated strings.

aha, we have forgotten about the padding at the end of a base64
block.  this almost guarantees that one or more base64 words will be
parsed for every attachment that you have.

i will submit a fix for lexer.l that takes the = padding into account.

however, the current lexer will still drop any single word on a line
by itself without spaces or punctuation.  some tricks based on the length
of the base64 line might be possible but ultimately it will require
a lot more smarts to really do this right.
Allyn Fratkin             allyn at fratkin.com
Escondido, CA             http://www.fratkin.com/