CSS abuse

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Mar 31 16:00:16 CEST 2003

Boris 'pi' Piwinger <3.14 at logic.univie.ac.at> writes:

> CSS changed that long ago. But max-width is *not* fixed
> width, it is just what it says, an upper bound.

You gave that fact before.

Let's kill this thread, it's not bringing any news and it's not getting
anywhere either.

I'm only tolerating the max-width on the home page because it still fits
in my window, without scroll bars, but I'll kill the max-width next time
I'm putting my hands on that index.html file.

Make an experiment: Fire up a 36-by-2 xterm, run "lynx -dump
http://bogofilter.sourceforge.net/ | less" and read that page. Then do
the same again in a 80-by-2 xterm -- make sure that less uses the last
line for status. You should then have a feeling how the sight impaired
read the page that enforces maximum width on a Braille display.

I'm not willing to support dispensable access limitations just to cater
for someone who cannot be bothered to configure his browser. If you want
special formattings, have them applied by your browser, but don't force
them on others.