CSS abuse

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Mar 31 16:53:40 CEST 2003

Boris 'pi' Piwinger <3.14 at logic.univie.ac.at> writes:

> Matthias Andree wrote:
>
>>> Readability is part of usability.
>>
>> Depriving the user of control over his applications and his workspace is
>> not an option.
>
> You still don't say why the user would be deprived. You can
> always use user style sheets or turn of CSS completely.

I assume the user's browser is configured to his preference, and I would
not want my documents to meddle with that.

> If you don't like lines with limited length, fine, but the
> above claim is simply not true.

Rather than having the user cater for your ideas and work around the
constraints we impose, I'd have the user actively configure his browser
if he wants to have a special layout, say, 36em width.

Feel free to donate code to "format text in columns" by default to
Mozilla :->