CSS abuse

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Sun Mar 30 04:40:51 CEST 2003

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 09:03:27PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
> At 08:32 PM 3/29/03, Matthias Andree wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >the cascading style sheet stuff that has crept into the FAQ is plain
> >ugly. If anybody wishes to use a particular style sheet, he can have his
> >browser use it. Enforcing a maximum width of 36em is bogus, causes
> >unnecessary line wraps and adds UGLY borders to the screen. I suggest
> >that we kill all width specifications, to use the user's screen.
> >
> >We want to convey content, not markup or formatting. If we were to
> >convey formatting, we should use some other media (PDF).
>
> Matthias,
>
> The style sheet was included as part of the revision, reorganization, and
> expansion of the FAQ.
>
> It seems fine to me.
>
> Let's see what others think and then we can decide whether to keep the
> style sheet or discard it.

I have a 20" monitor, resolution set to PDH (pretty darn high).  I'm browsing
in Phoenix 0.5.   The problem described below also happens in Mozilla 0.9.2.1

Please add my vote to Matthias'.  The FAQ style is setup so that there is a
horizontal scroll bar active on the browser until I expand the window almost
all the way across my display.  the style insists on a window width of fourteen
inches and then only uses the middle 6.25 inches.  :-(

It ties up huge amounts of screen real estate without using it.  I'm not
sure what the author intended but I don't see a 3.5 inch margin on the
left and the right as useful.

No matter what size I make the window, the width of the text is fixed.
This is defeating the purpose and nature of browsers and HTML.  You should
never select a fixed width for text unless you need to display something
like a chunk of code text.  The rest of the time the text should be
flowed by the browser.

If I have a reason to make my browser window very narrow the text display
should flow within that view (with some exception as noted above).
The current style defats that completely, just as it defeats making my
window wider.

Could be its just a problem with my browsers.  They are closely related,
codewise.  It seems unlikely.

Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz at kinz.org
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an
acceptance of the offer at http://www.kinz.org/policy.html.
Don't forget to change your password often.

Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz at kinz.org