Simple tutorials

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun May 15 09:07:08 CEST 2016

Am 15.05.2016 um 07:36 schrieb Mark Constable:
> Hi, not sure if anyone is still on this list these days but I was
> wondering if there are any recent 2015-2016 tutorials on how to
> get the best out of using bogofilter on a mailserver?
>
> I've read some of the docs on the main site, plus the FAQ, plus an
> hour or so on the mailing-list archive and I find a lot of the
> googled info I can find is either old and a repeat of the basics or
> so obtuse and arcane I can't comprehend the conversation, in that
> I have difficulty trying to translate sophisticated statistical
> sentences into real world examples.
>
> Also, most of active info I can find seems to be from around 10
> years ago so perhaps the world has moved on to better alternatives?
>
> I mean "better" in the "it just works" sense.

Mark,

what I don't understand from your message is what problem you are trying
to solve, or what questions you're thinking about.  Try to ask a
particular question, which makes it easier for people to answer, else
they think "where should I start" and don't answer.

Even particular meta-questions may spawn a discussion.

There is a GETTING.STARTED file in the distribution that might be a good
roadmap to find one's way around.

I for one am not aware of /recent/ tutorials.

I know that bogofilter can be operated by some of the graphical mailers,
for instance, Evolution.

I'm not sure how many people rely on their ISP's spam filtering these days.

Some of the statistical chatter you found probably was around
fine-tuning bogofilter's behaviour, i. e. when people try to fine-tune
bogofilter's parameters in order to minimize false positives (good
messages misclassified as spam) and maximize true positives (real spam
being classified as such).  This happens empirically through
re-training, with bogotune and some such.

bogofilter itself has not changed radically in the past years, with
1.0.0 released more than ten years go.  There should be a new release to
collect the accumulated bug fixes, which are all available from the
Subversion repository already. <http://bogofilter.sourceforge.net/NEWS>
lists what is in the SVN's trunk.
The SVN repo is at
<https://sourceforge.net/p/bogofilter/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/bogofilter/>

I'd be happy to review tutorials and refresh links to tutorials if I'm
made aware of them.

HTH - looking forward to further questions :-)

Best,
Matthias