Migrating from SpamAssassin to Bogofilter

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 12 01:37:55 CEST 2013

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 11:28:34 -0700
Kip Warner wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-06-10 at 16:41 +0100, RW wrote:
> > If it's kept it should be aimed at power users.
>
> That's a fairly selfish view and one I've strived to avoid in the
> authorship of every piece of software I've ever worked on.

Someone who can't cope with simple mail client configuration is
unlikely to do well. Do you think, for example, the average Ubuntu user
would know not to use ISP or public DNS caches? Are you going to
configure bind for them?

> > You're begging the question: is autodetection a useful thing?
>
> It isn't my question.

   It's more of an assumption.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

> > All it really gives you is the absence of a setting to select a
> > global spamd instance. But since there are good reasons why a user
> > might want to choose manually, that's a much better solution.
>
> There isn't a reason to have to do that. If it was written properly,
> it would register on either the system or session bus, a client would
> attempt to connect to the service, connectivity equating with
> availability of the daemon, and the messages passed through methods on
> its registered interface and signals emitted when need be. All of this
> can be done in a fraction of the amount of code that it currently is
> dependent on. As he already pointed out, DBus solved this problem a
> decade ago.

But how do you know whether the user *wants* to use the global
instance. Think about application servers and shared computers.

Why do you even assume spamd would be running on the same host? And
not, for example, in a hosted virtual server.

> > At the end of the day SpamAssassin is primarily a spam filtering
> > library. No one is forcing evolution to access it via spamd.
>
> No, it's not primarily a library. If you want to characterize it based
> on where the bulk of the code is, that's fine, but not meaningful.
> That's like saying Eye of Gnome is primarily libpng or Evolution is
> primarily kernel drivers.

Not really, almost all of spamd is devoted to managing connections,
child processes etc. The classification and mark-up are done in a
library call.