Migrating from SpamAssassin to Bogofilter

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Thu Jun 6 19:52:35 CEST 2013

On Wed, 2013-06-05 at 14:14 +0100, RW wrote:
> To be fair the problems you reported ended-up being Evolution
> plugin bugs.

Kind of. It's at least a problem, or was a problem, with Evolution, but
in my view, was also compounded with poor error control on spamc's part.
This latter view was controversial upstream, but many agreed. In any
case, I offered a patch.

  <http://rod.gs/x1o>

> IMO Bogofilter is a much better candidate for client plugins than
> SpamAssassin. If you use one of the normal ways of invoking it SA
> usually works without obvious problems, but it's not likely to be
> optimal. There are advantages to having it administered by an expert
> at an ESP who can devote time every day, and there are advantages
> to having a tweaked, well setup local installation, but I think a lot
> plugin users are likely to end-up with with the worst of both.

lol. That's a good way of characterizing it.

> If you have the old mail you could just write a script to train
> bogofilter from the SA headers, but it's better to train from manually
> classified mail anyway - either way I'd suggest stripping X-Spam-
> headers. There is some value in training with historic ham, but spam
> usually comes along fast enough by itself.

Right.

> Converting the databases is impractical. Firstly some of the
> tokenization is completely incompatible. Secondly SA stores its tokens
> as truncated hashes, so you'd need a dictionary which you probably don't
> have (AFAIK it's only an option with SQL).

So basically I'd say the most practical thing to do at this point is to
just retrain Bogofilter with new mail.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred