Migrating from SpamAssassin to Bogofilter

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Jun 5 08:43:13 CEST 2013

Am 05.06.2013 08:06, schrieb Kip Warner:
> Hey list,
>
> I'd like to migrate my SpamAssassin setup to Bogofilter, given that the
> former has been no end of headaches for me.
>
> My current SpamAssassin setup is, or was, made possible by the
> following four user files. They are a white list, two Bayesian
> databases, and some user preferences.
>
>         ~/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist
>         ~/.spamassassin/bayes_seen
>         ~/.spamassassin/bayes_toks
>         ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs
>
> Is there a way to train Bogofilter with my SpamAssassin databases? I've
> seen the following on the FAQ,
>
>   <http://bogofilter.sourceforge.net/faq.shtml#spamassassin>
>
> , but I believe that's more appropriate for training Bogofilter with
> new / fresh mail, as opposed to what my SpamAssassin has already been
> calibrated with over the years.

Greetings,

I have just tried to find information on the bayes_toks format, but have
not been able to find any, so I cannot judge if there is even a remote
possibility of converting the spamassassin database for use with
bogofilter.  (I suppose reading spamassassin source code is possible,
but I wonder if it is worth the effort.)

I suggest that, before you flip the switch, you collect a few days'
worth of spam rather than deleting so you have a reasonable amount of
up-to-date spam around to train bogofilter with (on the assumption that
you keep a reasonable amount of good mail anyways).

We have traditionally recommended that you train bogofilter roughly with
the same amount of spam as good mail.

As spam changes over time, I wonder if old data is of much use, or if it
just consumes disk space with little effect.

Note that bogofilter is a purely Bayesian classifier, and does not do
any of the other checks SpamAssassin does.

(I also tried spamassassin's Bayesian mode a few times and found it to
be awkwardly slow -- not sure if that has changed.)

HTH - feel free to ask more questions as you move along.

Best
Matthias