still problem in spam management

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 8 18:14:50 CEST 2011

On Friday 08 April 2011 15:21:10 Stéphane Guedon wrote:
> On Friday 08 April 2011 13:34:13 David Relson wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 08:34:26 +0200
> >
> > Stéphane Guedon wrote:

> > > I will delete old spam when this problem would be solved...
> > >
> > > I didn't take that into account ! that's good ! but there's so few
> > > false positive I don't think it's really severe.
> > >
> > > So, ideas ?
> >
> > I mail incorrectly classified messages to two special addresses on my
> > mail server.  On address is for messages that should have been
> > classified as ham and the other is for messages that should have been
> > classified as spam. On the mail server, a script checks the X-Bogosity
> >
> > line, then trains bogofilter with the following flags:
> >  -Sn -- for false positives
> >  -Ns -- for false negatives
> >  -s  -- for unsures that are spam
> >  -n  -- for unsures that are ham
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > David

> So, you "transfer" a copy of the mail ?
>
> My question is regarding to the fact that I mount my mail server on imap,
> and use sieve, thus, the mail goes directly in the good box according to
> rules (facebook, gentoo, university, spam...). By sending mail to an
> adress, I keep my mail in the good box, delete the spam, and that's it. I
> am right ?
>
> Should I create a fake adress which I write on porn websites to make it
> send directly spam to me (to the wrong of course...), thus, the training
> should be better ? I think of an adress tartuff at ... to forbid any website
> to understand that it's a spamhole...
>
> can you show your script ?
>
> thank you for your help !

I use Bogofilter within Procmail, so although your setup is not identical to
mine, perhaps my script (created with a lot of help from David) will be useful
to you.  You'll find it on
http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#Spam_filtering_on_an_IMAP_server

This does separate out the spam and the unsure mails.  I then have to folders,
Bogotran_ham and Bogotrain_spam into which I drag the Unsure ones.  Once or
twice a year :-) I get a definitely wrongly categorised message, and I put a
copy of that into the training folders.

I usually wait until I have around 100 spam messages, or until ClamAV tells me
that one of the messages carries a virus or trojan, then I ssh to my server
and run

bash /usr/share/bogofilter/contrib/contrib/trainbogo.sh -c -H
/home/anne/Maildir/.INBOX.Bogotrain_ham/cur/ -S
/home/anne/Maildir/.INBOX.Bogotrain_spam/cur/

(all on one line, of course).

Bogotrain has served me well over several years.

Anne