Oracle Berkeley DB 5.0 support level

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Apr 2 16:19:09 CEST 2010

Greetings,

I've just built bogofilter against the latest Berkeley DB release, 5.0.21,
on FreeBSD 8 amd64.
The native API works good (builds and passes tests just out of the box).

Oracle's new "SQLite front-end with Berkeley DB back-end" however causes
scores to drift (apparently tokens go missing somehow) and the locking
tests to fail under contention - this is something that happens neither
with the native front-end nor with a real SQLite.

So I've declared Oracle Berkeley DB's new SQLite interface unsupported --
if you're using Berkeley DB, use its native API for bogofilter, like you
always did, and do yourself the maintenance favour and enable
transactional mode.

The updated documents (doc/README.sqlite, doc/README.db, NEWS) are in SVN.

Happy filtering

bogofilter co-maintainer