Virtual home-directories

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 16 14:00:49 CEST 2009

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:11:50 -0400
David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> wrote:

> Bogofilter looks for a system config file in /etc/ and for the user
> config file in ~/.bogofilter/

~/.bogofilter.cf according to the manpage

> Since you're looking for per-user
> configuration, you can use the user config file directory.

I'm talking about virtual user configuration rather than unix users.

As I understand it, a login shell sets HOME to the home directory set in
the password file and thereafter the shell treats ~ as the current
value of HOME. SpamAssassin follows this convention by keeping its
user data under HOME. So if you use some kind of script to fetch the
mail, you can set HOME to something like: "/var/db/mailhome/${USER}"
for virtual users.

When I tried this with Bogofilter I found that it only half works, it
uses HOME for wordlist.db, but ignores it for .bogofilter.cf