Virtual home-directories

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Sep 16 03:11:50 CEST 2009

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:24:44 +0100
RW wrote:

> Some mail related tools support the concept of virtual home
> directories - a place where per user configuration can be stored
> for virtual account.
>
> In SpamAssassin you can simply set HOME to the user's virtual home
> directory and everything just works.
>
> When I've tried this in Bogofilter, I've found that the wordlist is
> found under $HOME, but the .bogofilter.cf file is read from the real
> unix home directory. The workaround is straightforward, I just use:
>
>   bogofilter -c $HOME/.bogofilter.cf
>
> but it's a bit clumsy if I just want to try something on the
> command-line. It would be nice if Bogofilter could just take
> everything from $HOME by default.

Hello RW,

My recollection is that the documentation includes the needed
information.

Indeed you can use the -c option which overrides bogofilter's normal
searching for the config file.

Bogofilter looks for a system config file in /etc/ and for the user
config file in ~/.bogofilter/  Since you're looking for per-user
configuration, you can use the user config file directory.

HTH,