Messages marked as spam - Actions?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Oct 3 14:37:31 CEST 2009

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 14:15:02 +0200
Matthias Andree wrote:

> Am 02.10.2009, 22:20 Uhr, schrieb Michel Bulgado <michel at casa.co.cu>:
>
> > Hello List
> >
> > I have a concern, after applying the filter bogofilter in my work, I
> > have dedicated myself to train him.
> >
> > I've gotten to the point that recognizes and marks each message as
> > Spam or Ham.
> >
> > But I still enter even marked as spam messages.
> >
> > I ask, when are marked as spam filter should not remove them or
> > reject them???

> > version = 1.2.1
> >

> > Not achieve sufficient scores to remove or take any action upon?
>
> I do not quite understand, but I'll try:
>
> 1. bogofilter only marks messages as ham/spam/unsure. What you do
> then is your decision. You can use the maildrop package (from the
> courier-mta project) to direct messages to a spam folder, or reject
> them.
>
> 2. if you're getting "unsure", please try training more messages -
> and you must train BOTH good AND spam.
>
> Hope that helps
>
> --
> Matthias Andree

Bogofilter's configuration includes 2 special parameters used in
identifying ham and spam.  The parameters and their default values are:

  ham_cutoff=0.45
  spam_cutoff=0.99

Any message whose score is 0.45 or less is marked as ham.  Any message
whose score is 0.99 or above is marked as spam.  All other messages are
marked as unsure.

The default values were chosen to minimize errors in classification.
Until bogofilter is trained with a fair amount of _your_ ham and spam,
a lot of messages will be classified as unusre.

When you have a message classified as unsure, the best thing to do is
decide whether it is ham or spam and train bogofilter accordingly.  The
man pages and FAQ have a lot more information of this subject.

Hope this helps,