Placement of html filter.

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 30 21:20:58 CET 2009

On Friday 30 January 2009 19:27:13 John Culleton wrote:
> html and spam are nearly identical in my mail stream. So by Kmail
> filter I route all html to a special folder and manually scan items
> in that folder by source/subject line. Only one or two are keepers
> each day.
>
>  I have this Kmail filter for html before my bogofilter commands.  But
> that means I have to manually scan a couple hundred titles, since
> these are diverted before the bogofilter gets to them.
>
> The bogofilter rules say that the bogofilter entries  should be last
> in the Kmail filter stack.  Is there a problem with putting my html
> filter right after them so that my html folder doesn't fill up so
> fast each day?  Sooner or later bogofilter could catch many of them.

I think the reason that's recommended is to avoid slowing mail down by putting
everything through bogofilter when you already know that messages fitting your
other filters could bypass it.  Try it for a day or two and see how much it
affects things, and whether the result is what you want.  It's no big deal to
change it back if you don't like the result.

Anne