trainbogo.sh tune

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 17 00:05:35 CET 2009

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:43:37 +0100
"Matthias Andree" <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:

> > But why? All *nix operating systems have openssl by default (openssh
> > need them), i think much better to use openssl and not use md5sum...

> Stability of interfaces. I've seen openssl change incompatibly
> before where fetchmail depended on it, for extracting key finger
> prints, and some systems may have gnutls instead.
>
> My options are:
> - depend on coreutils for FreeBSD (so we have md5sum)

I don't like that, having a dependency that could be easily removed for
a script most people probably don't use.

> - patch scripts for md5 (for FreeBSD, possible in the port)

That's a better solution, and easy to do in FreeBSD ports.

> - do nothing and let people deal with it (such as: install coreutils)

Or simply make the script more portable e.g.

if [ `which md5sum` ] ;then
   MD5='md5sum | sed "s/  -//"'
elif [ `which md5` ]; then
   MD5=md5
fi
md5=$(printf "%s" "${rndseed}${i}" | $MD5