persistent spam missed by bogofilter.

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Mon Sep 8 18:20:06 CEST 2008

On Monday 08 September 2008 17:56, John G Walker wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 17:35:02 +0200 Nigel Henry
>
> <cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> > If you're regularly running the bogofilter training program on them,
> > they should not be turning up in the inbox, or the unsure box for
> > that matter.
>
> I'm not sure if this is possible on Kmail, but I train bogofilter,
> automatically, on every unsure email. This keeps spam down to about two
> or three a day maximum.
>
> One question: have you adjusted the spam cutoff? The default is 99%,
> which is great for initial training but is way too high for regular
> running. I ask because most people who post here complaining that spam
> isn't being caught turn out not to have adjusted this. Apologies if you
> have done this,

I've always used the defaults, and havn't had any problems with them, except
for when the spammers change their tactics, and I start getting a few in the
unsure box again. Another training session keeps the unsure box clean again
for a while though.

I suppose the main reason that I've kept the defaults, is that I don't want to
risk any genuine mail ending up in the trash. Saying that though, as I've
said I don't send the spam directly to the trash, but to my spamcheck folder,
where I can quickly flick through it, to make sure that no ham has been sent
there. I must say though that using the defaults, I've never had any ham sent
to this folder. Of course changing the defaults may result in some ham being
wrongly identified as spam, and being sent to the trash, or in my case to the
spamcheck box.

I'm happy to use the defaults. The few ham, and spam that turn up in the
unsure box are not a problem, and can be easily dealt with, with another
training session.

Nigel.