Zeroing out spam folder.

hideo hideo at lastamericanempire.com
Sat Sep 6 18:54:31 CEST 2008

John Culleton (Sat 09/06/08 12:23):

> I use bogofilter integrated with Kmail.
>
> Every day my spam folder fills with properly trapped spam. Some of it
> is trapped by bogofilter, and some is caught by me manually.
>
> Once a week cron runs the following line:
> 10 4 * * 1 /usr/local/bin/bogofilter -sv -B
> /home/safe/Mail/spam/cur>/dev/null
>
> (It is really all one line.)
>
> Now I am considering emptying out the spam folder and starting a new
> collection. But when bogofilter runs  again on Monday morning will I
> lose all the spam-finding benefits already accumulated from the
> formerly identified spam items I just deleted? In other words is
> emptying out the spam folder a safe action?

Once you've registered the spam you don't need to keep it unless
you're maintaining a corpus or something.  However, I would keep
the spam you've identified manually in a separate folder, e.g
reclassify-as-spam, and run your command on that folder.  You
don't really need to register the spam bogofilter identified properly.

You might also consider running the retraining on manually identified
spam more often.  Waiting a week seems a bit long to me. I retrain
hourly.

Zach