Fighting bogus news spam

Thomas Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Mon Jul 28 05:14:06 CEST 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 14:41 +0200, Sven Hoexter wrote:
> The adavantage of the three-state filtering I see is that I can read through
> my inbox and mailinglist folders without getting distracted by spam I've to
> sort out. Once a day or when I miss something I'll take a look at the content
> in the unsure folder and sort them for training.

I've taken to doing more than tri-state.  I use the built-in tri-state
filtering, but then in my mail client, I also separate the spam by
spamicity.  Anything higher than 0.94 is considered high probability and
I rarely if ever check it beyond very cursory subject line scan before
deleting it.  Anything higher than 0.98 is automatically dropped without
ever seeing it by bogofilter-milter (sending server will get a bounce
message at SMTP time).  Those spams less than 0.94 I only read sender
and subject lines before deleting them.  Unsures I usually briefly page
through the content.  Rarely does ham ever end up in the unsures, but it
does happen from time to time.  I never get false positives in the spam
though.

> I'm not using the automatic training so far and I'm happy with the result.
> Maybe the results would be even better with the automatic training? Hm should
> try that one day.

I'd imagine it would.  It's served me well.

Tom