Bogofilter corrupts header

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Jul 21 16:25:42 CEST 2008

Andreas Podgurski schrieb:

> I'm currently trying to setup bogofilter on a debian 3.1 system. I
> compiled it by hand and tied it into postfix as mta. From there, a
> simple script is called with the line bogofilter -p | sendmail -i "$@" .
> I havn't altered the configuration file yet. What happens, is, that the
> header of incoming emails is cut off after the to: tag, where a
> undisclosed-recipients: is added. All tags afterwards are gone, so my
> mail client e.g. shows a "(no subject)". I removed the call to
> bogofilter by leaving the sendmail -i "$@" call alone, and the header
> arrives correctly. Has anyone any idea where my mistake is? I doubt that
> this is a bogofilter bug, as I can't find any occurance of this behavior
> anywhere.
> Further, I can't get bogofilter to output anything to the syslog,
> neither in the postfix pipe, nor by training it from the command line.
> Again, any ideas here?

Likely the database isn't sufficient (lacks registrations of ham and spam)
or inaccessible to Postfix and bogofilter aborts early, omitting headers -
but that's only a symptom.

The real problem is that your way of integrating bogofilter does zero error
checking and will happily pretend success. There's a better way: bogofilter
ships with an integrating-with-postfix document (check the doc/) directory,
which please see. The most current version is in Subversion (not yet in a
release), see
<https://bogofilter.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/bogofilter/trunk/bogofilter/doc/integrating-with-postfix>

Alternatively, you can use maildrop <http://www.courier-mta.org/maildrop/>
to integrate bogofilter - that may be preferable if it's a single-user
install or you can otherwise benefit from adding a more sophisticated
filtering engine.

HTH