Installing/training bogofilter on slackware 12.1 and Kmail

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Jul 19 17:54:44 CEST 2008

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:19:10 -0400
John Culleton wrote:

> Have searched the web and tried the man page. I have bogofilter
> installed, sort of. When I click the "filter classify as spam" the
> message is sent to trash. The wordlist.db file is about 25 megs.
>
> Just one problem, it doesn't catch any spams. Not one.
>
> Now if there is a current guide that deals with how to install and
> train bogofilter in Kmail, and only that,  please point me to it. The
> manpage tells me nothing about installing the filter in kmail.  I
> want to start from scratch.
>
> Thanks
> --
> John Culleton

Hi John,

Have you looked at bogofilter's FAQ?  It suggests googling for
"bogofilter +kmail".  I gave it a try and there seemed to be a
number of useful hits.  Unfortunately as I don't use kmail I can't
tell whether the hits are accurate or not.

I presume you've verified that your bogofilter installation is able to
classify messages, i.e. commands like:

   bogofilter -v < ham.msg
   bogofilter -v < spam.msg

Assuming these commands produce reasonable results then bogofilter is
working and all that's needed is configuration for kmail.

As you've probably discovered, bogofilter's "doc" directory has
documents like integrating-with-postfix and integrating-with-qmail.  If,
once you get things working, you care to write-up what you've done,
I'd be glad to integrating-with-kmail!

HTH,