How do I filter out spam that turns up on mailing lists?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Jan 7 21:35:35 CET 2008

On Monday 07 January 2008 21:08, Tom Anderson wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Cutting to the chase. There has just been another batch of spam getting
> > through Debian mail filters, and has turned up in my Debian mailbox, so
> > it appears that bogofilter was not able to detect the Debian list spam
> > when it processed all the incoming mail.
> >
> > Any suggestions on how to deal with mailing list spam?
>
> Yep, just keep training on it.  It will take some time for the Debian
> list headers to become more neutral, thus allowing the spam tokens to
> shine through.  You can try recursive training to speed up the process
> -- that is, train the spam, test it's spamicity, and train again if it's
> still too low, then repeat.  Bfproxy has an option to do this
> automatically for you.
>
> Tom

Hi Tom. Ok I see where you're going. So would it be helpfull if I trained
bogofilter with a load of genuine Debian ham mails, so as to compare the ham
from spam?

I suppose also it would be a good idea to upgrade bogofilter. I've put this
off as I didn't want to mess something up that is working ok, that is apart
from the mailing list stuff.

Thanks for the reply.

Nigel.