How do I filter out spam that turns up on mailing lists?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Jan 7 20:30:22 CET 2008

I'm using bogofilter directly with Kmail (bogofilter-1.0.2, and I know it's
ancient and should have updated it ages ago).

I have no problems with non mailing list stuff being filterered out by
bogofilter, and sent directly to the wastebin (never had a ham end up in the
wastebin). I get a few unsures, mainly spam, but the odd ham.

I'd had my mailing lists set to run before bogifilter, and that was working
ok. Then there was a flood of spam turning up on the Debian list, and I asked
if I could move the Debian mailing list from being filtered before bogofilter
ran to after. The suggestion was to move the Debian list so that it was
placed after bogofilter, and uncheck the box "stop processing here" for
bogofilter.

I did this, but in the meantime Debian had stopped the spam coming through, so
had no way of knowing if this was working. I still had all the stuff from the
Debian list coming in to my Debian mailbox, so no problems.

Cutting to the chase. There has just been another batch of spam getting
through Debian mail filters, and has turned up in my Debian mailbox, so it
appears that bogofilter was not able to detect the Debian list spam when it
processed all the incoming mail.

Any suggestions on how to deal with mailing list spam?

btw. I've continued to train bogofilter with this mailing list spam.

Thanks for bogofilter. Apart from this mailing list stuff it works just fine.

Nigel.