bogofilter and thunderbird

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Mon Aug 11 16:40:04 CEST 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 06:56:38PM -0400, David Relson wrote:

> > > Short of hacking the Thunderbird source? I'm not so sure about
> > > that...
> >

> > If it can't be done, I wonder why the bogofilter faq would claim that
> > it can be done.  Surely the faq is not fibbing to us all.
> >
> > Mark
>
> Hopefully not :->  Possibly it could have been true for an old version
> of thunderbird and no longer be true.  I don't know and, since I don't
> use thunderbird, it's not a major concern.  I bet that one could wrap
> bogofilter in a shell-script (that thunderbird would find/run) that
> converts bogofilter results so that thunderbird will accept them.

What? Use tools for individual purposes and then link them together
to produce capabilities their original developers never considered?

Heresy!

I'm sorry - that violates the "New" Linux paradigm which mandates
large all in one programs and suites that use centralized registries
that can't be modified by hand.

"If it dont bloat it, we wont float it!" (sekret GNOME motto)

The idea that programs should each do on thing well and that data
should be human readable and that linking commands together is the
best way to extend functionality are old, obsolete ideas.  The New Linux
paradigm is to copy everything from Windows (including the design of
the software) because otherwise you have to actually think hard to build
things well.

</sarcastic rant> (sorry for the poorly formed SGML/XML.. :-) )

Hmm - apparently I'm more pissed off about the bad software design
(Nee - windows style architectures) creeping into Linux than I thought.

Please note - I'm not condemning anything in this thread, not
even thunderbird.  Just bemoaning the trend away from tools like
bogofilter.

Example - just the other day I trained bogofilter on several months of
chat from a Linux IRC channel to see if I could make tool that
automatically identifies trolls. in real time.

What I found -  No, it cant. Individual lines dont provide enough
information. - but when evaluating sliding windows of dialog, It
was able to make progress. still playing with the idea.
Jeff Kinz