Running Bogofilter on mailing list stuff prefiltered before Bogofilter is run

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Sep 13 13:48:18 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 11 September 2007 04:11, David Relson wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 00:30:21 +0200
>
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Sorry for the subject line.
> >
> > I have Bogofilter setup on Kmail, and it works fine. I have 6 mailing
> > lists that are filtered into individual maildir boxes before
> > Bogofilter deals with the remaining stuff.
> >
> > Over the last 2 days a lot of sex spam has been turning up in my
> > Debian maildir box. The Debian list is high volume, which is why I'm
> > filtering it before Bogofilter runs.
> >
> > I know this is asking a lot, but is there some way that I can rerun
> > Bogofilter again on specific maildir boxes, after it has already
> > dealt with the remaining mail that has been downloaded.
> >
> > Sorry I'm not being too clear here.
> >
> > I have 6 Kmail filters setup to send mailing list mail to individual
> > mailboxes. Bogofilter runs after this mail has been filtered, and
> > works just fine on the remaining mail. Spam goes to the trash, ham
> > goes to the inbox, and I get a few unsures.
> >
> > I'm probably asking a bit much, but is it possible to run Bogofilter
> > again on the mailboxes that were filtered before Bogofilter ran. I'm
> > thinking particularly the Debian mailing list one. It's filtered
> > before Bogofilter runs, so I end up with a load of sex spam in it,
> > which Bogofilter hasn't been able to get it's hands on.
> >
> > Any suggestions anyone?
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> Assuming a directory with one message per file, you could run a script
> something like:
>
>    bogofilter -T -B $DIRECTORY | while read FN TYPE SCORE ; do
>       case $TYPE in
>           H)
>             mv $FN Ham
>           ;;
>           S)
>              mv $FN Spam
>           ;;
>           U)
>              mv $FN Unsure
>           ;;
>       esac
>    done
>
> HTH,
>
> David

Thanks for that David.

Ironically the Debian folks had resolved the spam problem the same day I
received your mail.

I will try the script though on an instance of Kmail on another distro, in
case I mess it up and lose the mail.

I presume I'd just cd to where the mail I want to refilter is. For example.

cd Mail/Debian-English/cur  , and run the script on the "cur" directory

The maidir boxes do contain a single file for each mail.

Thanks for any pointers.

Nigel.