How To Install? BogoFilter+Remote Dedicated Server+Fedora Core6+Qmail+Plesk v8.2.1

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Nov 8 09:58:02 CET 2007

Am Mittwoch, den 07.11.2007, 14:21 -0800 schrieb Ansel Taft:
>    I've read about BogoFilter and it sounds like the route I want to
> go to clamp down on my 3 domains' spam problem. The problem is, I'm a
> neophyte when it comes to *nix and the currently available tutorials
> aren't specific enough to my configuration that I feel comfortable
> installing it.

Well, the software usually does not depend on specifics of the
configuration, instead, the configure scripts that are part of
bogofilter and Berkeley DB will usually either sort out the differences
automatically or complain.

>    I have a [remote] dedicated server with Fedora Core 6, Plesk v8.2.1
> and Qmail. I will have to install both Berkeley DB and Bogofilter. I
> can connect via HTTP, FTP and SSH with a root admin password. Can
> someone please cobble together some installation instructions for me
> and I will name my first born after them? The expect wait time for my
> end of the bargain is only 5-10 years. :O)

Install in that order, i. e. complete Berkeley DB installation before
you install bogofilter. Usually there will be Fedora RPMs for Berkeley
DB that you can install (remember to install the -devel packages, too,
if Fedora splits them out) so the first part should actually be easier.

WRT qmail, it's lacking, and while I don't mean to scare you:
http://home.pages.de/~mandree/qmail-bugs.html - section 4.5 is relevant.
I'd suggest to go with something modern, such as Postfix or perhaps
Courier or Exim. If you can't, check if there are qmail SMTPD
replacements that are better behaved WRT delayed bounces (there are
some, but I haven't been following things lately).

--
Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de>