bogoutil question

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Jan 30 00:59:37 CET 2007

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:09:30 +0000
R Kimber wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:35:17 -0500
> Eric Wood wrote:
>
> > For my FC6 setup, 'bogoutil --db-verify' and 'db_verify' yield no
> > errors.
>
> My problem was that the two commands gave different results, which was
> unsettling.  On a practical level, I have retrained from scratch, but
> that leaves me with the problem of which verify command to trust.
>
> Bogofilter knows that db4.3 is being used
> bogofilter -V gives:-
>
> bogofilter version 1.1.5
>     Database: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.3.29
>
> but maybe there needs to be a symbolic link between db_verify and
> db4.3_verify, so that bogoutil finds the command (if not finding it
> is the explanation) ??
>
> - Richard.

Hi All,

A couple of points :->

The BerkeleyDB system includes a verify utility.  It's name can be
db_verify, db4.3_verify, etc.  The exact name depends on packager
(distro).

Bogoutil's "--db-verify" option uses the verify capability in
BerkeleyDB's shared library.  It doesn't use a separate executable, so
it doesn't matter whether the verify utility is named db_verify,
db_4.3_verify, or something else.

The standalone utility may well be using different options than
bogoutil's call to the verify function, so the results may differ.

If either verification method ("bogoutil --db-verify" or
"db_verify") indicates a problem, I'd recommend rebuilding your
database.  This can be done with bogoutil, i.e.

   bogoutil -d ... | bogoutil -l ...

or
   bogoutil -d ... > wordlist.txt
   bogoutil -l ... < wordlist.txt

or rebuilding can be done with Berkeley's dump and load utilities.

HTH,