Bogofilter Behaviour on encountering error is unacceptable.

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Feb 21 00:09:32 CET 2007

K T Ligesh schrieb:
>>> Can we have more details on this? What tests have you performed.
>>>
>>> If this is correct, then it is disturbing news. But I think we'd all
>>> like to have more information before we start panicking,
>>>

>> And I suppose I should have asked if you were testing for error codes.
>> Always a good thing to do,
>>

>  No. This is a very simple piping using qmail. It is done at the server and not through procmail.
>
> ---------
>  | bogofilter -p | safemail-maildir <mailcocunt-path>
> --------

Finally something. This configuration is inadequate for reliable mail
delivery, because it discards the exit status of the first command in
the pipeline, so you can't possibly detect errors there.

I'd suggest to use maildrop instead and have it filter the message
through bogofilter first, then deliver either directly or with
safemail-maildir (you probably don't need that though, maildrop can
deliver to maildir by itself, and does that better than qmail could).

Rant: I am not at all surprised that a qmail user is being rude with
others, that seams to be built into people lured into that piece of
software. Not that I'd endorse qmail on technical grounds either:
<http://home.pages.de/~mandree/qmail-bugs.html>

>  What I want is the default behaviour to be sane. As in, when it finds something is wrong, it should just outtput the entire mail unaltered and print the error message in stderr.  I found that only when it encounteres error does it munge the mails, and otherwise it DOES work.  I can write a wrapper to check the bogofilter error message, and if bogofilter is exiting non-zero, then output the entire message. But maybe this could be made into a command line option?

No. As written earlier based on suspect, integrate properly, then it
will be robust.